Healthy Hair Redlands
Some people may be confused over the term ‘androgenic alopecia’. This refers to male pattern baldness and is not usually associated with testosterone or androgen excess. Alopecia, or hair loss, in postmenopausal women is not associated with androgen excess. In fact, hair loss in women is usually caused by testosterone deficiency. 63% of patients with ‘thinning’ hair report hair re-growth on testosterone pellet therapy.
Healthy Hair Recommendations
- Hormone Balance: Too much thyroid medication is a common cause of hair thinning.
- Avoid Chemicals: Chlorine, permanents, color, and harsh shampoo all damage hair, making it brittle and lifeless.
- Diet: Eat whole foods, eggs, nuts, seeds, fruits and vegetables. Avoids processed carbohydrates, sugars, and protein drinks.
- Supplements: Try supplements such as iron, l-lysine, and iodine.
- Topical Minoxidil: Sold over-the-counter as Rogaine.
- Stress Reduction: Stress is a common cause of hair loss.
- Avoid Hard Water: Hard water strips essential oils from hair.
- Avoid Dry Heat